The 2020 Census is hiring people nationwide to assist with the census count. Click or tap on this link to find what jobs will be available in your area and how to apply.
The pay rates vary from area to area. A census taker in Walton County will earn $15.50 per hour. In Gwinnett County, the hourly pay rate is $20 an hour.
The Census taking will be in April 2020. Click or tap on this link for the necessary qualifications you will need and how to apply.
With just one job application, you may be considered for one, some, or all of the 2020 Census positions described below. Which positions you are considered for depends on your answers to the application assessment questions and the availability of work in your area.
Bilingual applicants are needed and are encouraged to apply.
Census Field Supervisors
Office Operations Supervisor
To be eligible for a 2020 Census job, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Have a valid Social Security number.
- Be a U.S. citizen.*
- Have a valid email address.
- Complete an application and answer assessment questions. (Some application questions are available in Spanish. However, an English proficiency test may also be required.)
- Be able to speak, read, and write in English, if applying in the 50 states or Washington, D.C. (Bilingual applicants are needed and are encouraged to apply.)
- Be registered with the Selective Service System or have a qualifying exemption, if you are a male born after December 31, 1959.
- Undergo fingerprinting and pass a criminal background check and a review of criminal records performed by the Census Bureau.
- Commit to completing training.
- Be available to work flexible hours, which can include days, evenings, and weekends.
Most jobs require employees to:
- Have a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle, unless public transportation is readily available.
- Have access to a computer with internet and an email account (to complete training).
Applicants located in Puerto Rico:
- Have the option to complete the application in English or Spanish but will be required to complete the assessments in Spanish only.
- Will be required to take the English proficiency assessment, if applying for office and/or supervisory positions.
If you are currently employed, your job must be compatible with Census Bureau employment and not create conflicts of interest. These will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Also, you must not engage in any partisan political activity while on duty.
If you are a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. armed forces and were separated under honorable conditions, you may be eligible for veterans’ preference. You must include documentation supporting your claim for preference in your application. For more information, visit the U.S. Office of Personnel Management Veterans’ Preference page.
The Census Bureau is an equal opportunity employer. For more information, visit our Equal Employment Opportunity page.
Bilingual and Noncitizen Applicants
Bilingual applicants are needed and are encouraged to apply. Noncitizens will be considered for positions that require proficiency in a particular language if no qualified citizens are available. If selected for a position, noncitizens must present documentation of employment eligibility.