Fires in Walton County Friday result in loss of historic home, displaces 9 people

Post Advertisement

Fire destroyed a home from the 1800s on John Deere Road on Friday, March 9, 2018. Photo Credit: Walton County Fire Rescue

Friday was a busy day for firefighters from local fire departments. According to officials, one fire in an outbuilding resulted in the death of a dog and loss of lawn equipment and another displaced six adults and three children and resulted in the loss of a home from the 1800s.

“Walton County Fire Rescue, along with units from Monroe Fire Department, responded to a 2-story house fire at 789 John Deere Road at 3:18pm this afternoon,” said WCFR Battalion Chief Craig League. “Upon arrival of the first fire apparatus, there was heavy flames from a first floor bedroom, the front porch and a second story room above the downstairs bedroom. The fire was quickly extinguished but not before causing major damage to the home.”
League said the Red Cross is providing victim assistance to the family. There were no injuries reported. 
Fire destroyed a home from the 1800s on John Deere Road on Friday, March 9, 2018. Photo Credit: Walton County Fire Rescue

“According to tax records, the original house was built in 1890,” League said. 

Capt. Jack Armstrong with MFD said just prior to responding to the fire on John Deere Road, WCFR and MFD were extinguishing an outbuilding on Vasco Adcock Road resulting in the loss of a family dog along with lawn and shop equipment.
Fire in outbuilding on Vasco Adcock Road in Walton County. Photo credit: Capt. Jack Armstrong

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply