Monroe, GA – U.S. Congressman Jody Hice (GA-10) announced the names of 22 young men and women whom he nominated for appointment to United States Service Academies, three of them from the local area. Jack Calhoun, of Monroe, GA, Walnut Grove High School, Austin Herndon, of Loganville, GA, U.S. Military Academy Preparatory School (West Point Prep) and Trey Williams, of Loganville, GA, Loganville High School were among those nominated.
Each year, Hice nominates eligible candidates to the United States Military (USMA), Naval (USNA), Merchant Marine (USMMA), and Air Force (USAFA) academies. These institutions prepare young Americans to become commissioned officers in the United States Armed Forces.
“The caliber of students nominated to our United States Service Academies gives me great confidence in the future of our Armed Forces,” Hice said in a press release. “Not only does each nominee exemplify the best attributes of character, leadership, scholarship, and physical fitness, but they also possess the proper motivation for service. I’m thrilled to congratulate Maggie Curran, Stan Lacksen, and Michael Rogers, who are the first of my nominees this year to receive Academy appointments, and I look forward to the announcement of many more over the coming months.”
Based on recommendations by an independent academy advisory board, the other candidates nominated by Hice were:
- Meredith Buchanan, of Kathleen, GA, Veterans High School
- Spencer Carroll, of Buford, GA, University of North Georgia
- Maggie Curran, of McDonough, GA, Community Christian School – received an offer of appointment to the U.S. Air Force Academy
- Thomas Headley, of Dacula, GA, Hebron Christian Academy
- Destinie James, of McDonough, GA, Henry County High School
- Kathryn Kadima, of McDonough, GA, Union Grove High School
- Stan Lacksen, of Watkinsville, GA, North Oconee High School – received an offer of appointment to the U.S. Air Force Academy
- Luke LeFort, of Augusta, GA, Westside High School
- Heath McDonald, of Bogart, GA, North Oconee High School
- Jamsen Mendoza, of Athens, GA, Clarke Central High School
- Savannah Miles, of Jackson, GA, Jackson High School
- Madison Park, of Dacula, GA, Mill Creek High School
- Logan Paugh, of Braselton, GA, Mill Creek High School
- Anna Pawlowski, of Dacula, GA, Mill Creek High School
- Ethan Perez, of Evans, GA, Greenbrier High School
- Michael Rogers, of Thomson, GA, Thomson High School – received an offer of appointment to the U.S. Naval Academy
- Cameron Sapp, of Dacula, GA, Archer High School
- Cutler Shiver, of Watkinsville, GA, Oconee County High School
- Madison Zinn, of Bogart, GA, Westminster Christian Academy
While securing a nomination is a required step in the application process, the Academies make the final decision on who receives an appointment of admission. Students who attend one of these prestigious institutions commit to serving at least five years in their respective military branch upon graduation.