There are not expected to be any charges filed after an alleged brawl Saturday night resulted in one of the two men suffering a broken nose and contusions to his jaw, according to the police report. The affray happened between 10 and 11 p.m. on Saturday night outside an event that was taking place at the Engine Room in Monroe. Police responded after an off duty police officer working security called them to two men allegedly rolling around on the ground. The two men turned out to be former Walton County Sheriff’s deputies Raymond Stowe and Damien Mercer. Stowe was the one who, according to the report, ended up with the injuries and claimed to have been “sucker punched” by Mercer. However, despite changing his mind several times about whether or not to pursue charges, he eventually told police that he did not want to lay a charge.
“We did an extensive follow up during the times that he said he was interested in pursuing charges, and he can still do that if he wants to, but at this time he says he doesn’t want to,” said Monroe Police Chief RV Watts. According to the police report, Stowe told police he was concerned about the Mercer family’s standing in the community and possible retaliation from WCSO deputies if he pursued charges. However, neither he nor Mercer are currently employed at WCSO. Mercer left last month reportedly to pursue real estate opportunities.
The City of Monroe Police Department reported the following incidents for the period Jan. 25 – 31, 2019. Due to the length, this report has been split into five parts. This is the third part. Please note an arrest or charge does not constitute a conviction.
- Meet with Subject, South Broad St., Monroe Police Department lobby reference to speaking with a mother regarding her son’s active warrant.
- Traffic Stop, Highway 78 West/Unisia Dr., reference to a driver being stopped for Speeding and Brake light infraction. The driver was found to be in possession of marijuana less than an ounce after probable cause search and was released on a copy of the citation.
- Welfare Check, West Creek Circle, made contact with the male subject. All ok.
- Abandoned Vehicle, Davis St., officers made contact with male and female subjects. Male wanted officers to tow the vehicle off his property for him. He was advised that he was responsible for towing the vehicle due to it was on private property. The vehicle was towed by towing co. Report taken upon request.
- Suicidal Threats, Creekview, third-party call, reference subject taking an unknown amount of an unknown pill. The subject was Turned over to EMS and transported to Piedmont Walton.
- Suspicious Vehicle, at in the cul-de-sac, Plaza Trace, reference to a male subject on location in a black Jeep Cherokee. The subject stated he is currently homeless and is on location trying to sleep. The subject was advised of remedies. Everything on location ok.
- Suspicious Person, Sorrells St./Booth Dr., reference to making contact with Jessica Tanner. Tanner was arrested for a failure to appear warrant out of the Police Dept. She was fingerprinted and taken to the Walton County Sheriff’s Office.
- Damage to Property, South Madison Ave., Felker Park, reference to broken windows on one of the concessions stands. Report taken.
- Traffic Stop, North Broad St./Tyler St., Jamar Thomas stopped for a brake light violation. He was found to have a suspended license and taken into custody. He was cited for both and fingerprinted at the PD.
- Traffic Stop, McDaniel St./Breedlove Dr., stopped a driver for no insurance on her Sonata. No insurance verified by calling the insurance company. Citation issued and the car turned over to towing co. Report Taken
- DOA, Vine St., Elderly female cold to touch and not breathing. Determined to be DOA. Turned over to CID. Report made.
- Missing Juvenile, Victory Dr., reference to juvenile not returning from school. Family member said he was in an afternoon program. Busses have not finished their drop offs. Advised to call if child not on the bus when it arrives.
- Meet With complainant at WCSO, reference to complainant not being able to get into her residence on South Broad St., the complainant said locks were changed after she came back into town. No answer at the door to speak with residence. Advised to contact leasing.
- Theft reported, MPD lobby, reference to complainant saying her daughter’s phone was taken from Douglas St. previous night and is now getting a call from someone claiming to have it and return it. Advised to have daughter contact police when she gets off work to report her phone stolen.
- Suspicious Vehicle, Highway 78, reference to a white passenger vehicle traveling eastbound in the westbound lane of travel. Caller advised the driver quickly corrected its direction of travel.
- Shoplifting, West Spring St., Walmart, reference to a customer seeing what appeared to be someone shoplifting. Both the complainant and alleged shoplifter were GOA.
- Traffic Stop, South Madison at the Post Office. LPR hit on tag # for a suspended tag and no insurance. Driver was cited for both and the vehicle was towed.
- Suspicious Person, East Church St., reference to an older W/M in a white in color SUV with an odor of alcohol. Millon Ruis was observed driving in a White 1989 Chevrolet SUV away from the location and also known to have a suspended license. Ruis was stopped and cited for driving with a suspended license and driving under the influence of alcohol. Ruis was transported to the PD to be fingerprinted and was released to the Jail.
- Warrant Served, State Probation, Logan Peterson was arrested for probation violation and taken to the Walton County Jail.
- Meet with Officer, Vine St., reference to complainant being on location to retrieve her aunt’s belongings. The neighbor was upset and yelling due to them being on location, the situation was mediated, all ok.
- Theft Report, West Spring St., Connell Printing, reference to $700.00 in cash missing. Report taken
- Mental Person, West Spring St., Piedmont Walton Hospital, reference to subject refusing to comply with hospital staff. Signed medical issue due to overdosing on medication. Situation mediated all ok.
- Follow Up, South Broad St., Monroe Police Dept., complainant stated that named subject has been driving by her residence since the damage to property incident. Remedies were advised. Supplemental added.
- Theft, Walker Dr., reference to approximately 15 stolen pallets taken by named male subject. Report taken
- Dispute, West Creek Cir., the complainant advised her family will not let her drive. Spoke with family about options for complainant.
- Suspicious person, West Spring St., reference to a female subject inside Goodwill and under the influence of drugs. The subject was told to leave and not return.