(Monroe, Ga.) — The Walton County School District has named the 2017-18 Teacher and Support Person of the Year. All honorees were recognized at the November Board of Education meeting where the district winners were announced.
Fourth grade Harmony Elementary School teacher Jessica Elliott was named the 2017-18 Walton County School District Teacher of the Year and Tammy Hyde from the Central Office was named the District Support Person of the Year.
“All of our honorees play a vital role in our district and contribute long hours behind the scenes to serve our students, staff, and parents,” said Superintendent Nathan Franklin. “They not only inspire students of all backgrounds and abilities, but have earned the respect and admiration of their peers, students, and parents. I congratulate all of this year’s recipients on being acknowledged as the best of the best.”
Each school winner who wishes to be considered at the district level must submit an application with educational and professional background information and answer several free response questions. In addition, Teachers of the Year must submit an unedited 10-minute video of one classroom lesson. A committee of education professionals from the Northeast Georgia Regional Educational Service Agencies (RESA) reviews every application and selects the district winners.
Elliott has been employed at Harmony Elementary School since 2011 and holds a Specialist in Curriculum and Instruction. She has taught first, third, and fourth grade. In her application, Elliott noted that her greatest strengths include inspiring, motivating, and helping fulfill the needs of her students in all aspects. She helps children develop their potential by believing in them as capable individuals and creating a secure, caring and stimulating environment where children can grow emotionally, physically, intellectually, and socially.
Hyde currently works as an information analyst in the Information & Technology Services Department and has been employed with the Walton County School District since 2000.
When asked about the aspect of her job that she truly enjoys, Hyde said, “Providing training to stakeholders so they can effectively and accurately use Infinite Campus to ensure accurate data entry, analysis and reporting. It is rewarding to work within a team that is dedicated to achieving data excellence.”
The full list of honorees is as follows:
2017-18 Support Personnel of the Year
- Atha Road Elementary School Nathaniel Lewis
- Bay Creek Elementary School Michael Vinson
- Harmony Elementary School Jane Hawk
- Loganville Elementary School Heike Wolaver
- Monroe Elementary School Tommy Ellison
- Sharon Elementary School Taylor Parker
- Walnut Grove Elementary School Dawn Dunbar
- Walker Park Elementary School Sabrina Hendricks
- Youth Elementary School Stephen Hill
- Carver Middle School Christy Breedlove
- Loganville Middle School Sheryl Hester
- Youth Middle School Sheryl Wallace
- Loganville High School Wendy Beck
- Monroe Area High School Annie Brooks
- Walnut Grove High School Deborah Holmes
- Central Office Tammy Hyde
- Transportation Ronald Shupe
2017-18 Teachers of the Year
- Atha Road Elementary School Stephanie Carter
- Bay Creek Elementary School Missy Dooley
- Harmony Elementary School Jessica Elliott
- Loganville Elementary School Lauren Fortson
- Monroe Elementary School Rhonda Clark
- Sharon Elementary School Greg Yarman
- Walnut Grove Elementary School Kerri Brooks
- Walker Park Elementary School Farrah Mashburn
- Youth Elementary School Leigh Cox
- Carver Middle School Kristin Fanning
- Loganville Middle School Courtney Cuneio
- Youth Middle School Barbara Ervin
- Loganville High School David Smith
- Monroe Area High School Sarah Hinkle
- Walnut Grove High School Casey Bond
The Walton County School District serves around 14,100 students in 15 schools including nine elementary schools, three middle schools and three high schools. The mission of the Walton County School District is to ensure that all students learn. The district values students as individuals with unique intellectual, physical, social and emotional needs. For more information, please visit www.walton.k12.ga.us.