Walton County’s Historical Society offers tours of the Davis-Edwards House in Monroe

Post Advertisement

As we celebrate Walton County’s Bicentennial, the Historical Society of Walton County announced that the Davis-Edwards House, Circa 1845, will be open for tours the 1st and 3rd Saturdays from May through August. The hours it will be open are from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. each day it is open.

The house is on the National Register of Historic Places and is designated as a Walton County Landmark. You must register for a chance to win the book, “The Miracle Flower,” by Moina Belle Michael, originator of the poppy sales to aid Veterans. Michael was born in Good Hope and is buried in Monroe.

Groups are welcome – just call a day ahead to 770-207-1229 or 770-267-6663. Admission is free, but donations are always welcome.

According to the Downtown Monroe website, “the Davis-Edwards House has been furnished to reflect how the Davis family might have lived during the mid-1800’s. The furnishings include a number of furniture styles including Queen Anne, Hepplewhite, Sheraton, Empire and Victorian. The interior of the Davis-Edwards House retains most of its original woodwork and hardware. A simple trim was used around the doors and windows on most of the second floor and likely reflects the style used in the original building. A much more deeply carved trim is used on the second floor and is thought to have been added when the house was remodeled in the Greek Revival style. There are six mantel pieces in the house, each with their own unique, decorative elements. Most of the home’s doors have their original carpenter brand locks in place.

Although no written records of the construction have been located, the building methods of the house indicate that it was built between 1830 and 1835 in the Federal style. However, it is believed to have been remodeled in 1845 by Josiah Clark in the more fashionable Greek Revival style. In 1846 the house and its surrounding 34 acres were purchased from Mr. Clark by Charles Davis, a bachelor attorney from Vermont. In 1848 he married Mary Patillo and together they raised four children. Charles Davis died in 1879. The Davis-Edwards House was acquired by the Historical Society after John Edwards’ death. Structural preservation and restoration were completed in 1976.”

The Davis-Edwards House is located at 238 North Broad Street in Monroe. You are invited to celebrate Walton County’s 200 Anniversary by touring one of the oldest homes in Georgia.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply