Lawrenceville Road and CS Floyd/Hwy 81 first on the list
City officials announced at Monday’s Loganville City Council work session that they will be voting Thursday to begin work on improvements to the intersection of Lawrenceville Road and CS Floyd / Highway 81. They opted not to put it on the consent agenda but to vote independently so it could be explained to residents who may be in attendance.
“That way at least they will know that we’ve been working on it,” Councilman Skip Baliles said.
The regular City Council meeting is at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 12, 2019 in council chambers of City Hall, located at 4303 Lawrenceville Road. The community is invited to attend. This is the final meeting for 2019 and the last full meeting for Baliles who is retiring after two terms at the end of this term.
This intersection improvement is the first of several intersection improvements the city has managed to get the Georgia Department of Transportation to agree to. The city also has applied for a grant with the Atlanta Regional Commission that, if awarded, would analyze traffic patterns in Loganville and determine how to develop secondary roads. According to the city’s newsletter, officials will learn in April 2020 if they have been awarded the grant.
In the Lawrenceville Road, CS Floyd / Highway 81 improvement, the city will contribute about $100,000 with GDOT contributing $200,000 through its Quick Response Program. Construction is expected to begin early in 2020.
Officials say it may be a little confusion, but explained that the intersection improvements include:
– On Highway 81 coming from Winder, a dedicated left-turn lane with a straight/right turn lane
– Adding a dedicated left-turn lane to CS Floyd Road with a straight/right turn lane
– Lawrenceville Road coming from Main Street will have a left turn lane and a straight/right turn lane (a proposed right turn only lane was removed from the project).
– Lawrenceville Road coming from Grayson will have dedicated left-turn lane, straight and right turn lanes.
- Adding a dedicated left turn signal from eastbound Highway 78 onto Main Street. There will only be right turns onto Highway 78 from Broad Street, however, as a result.
- Upgrading signal equipment at Highway 78 and Trident Trial/Tom Brewer Road.
Other intersection improvements being considered are the additon of a left turn signal at Highway 78 and Cown Drive/Lawrenceville Road as well as re-aligning Tuck Road with Sharon Church Road and adding a multi-lane roundabout at the intersection.