(July 25, 2018) The GBI is again asking for the public’s assistance in identifying human remains that were found near Interstate 85 in February of 2017. The skeleton remains were discovered in a wooded area near New Salem Church Road at 2170 Highway 59 in Commerce. It was located one mile south of I-85, Exit 154 for Toccoa/SR63/Martin Bridge Road.
The following list contains new information on this investigation:
- A GBI forensic artist has completed a skull reconstruction and sketch.
- The University of North Texas Center for Human Identification (UNTCHI) has obtained a DNA profile from the submitted bone sample and this DNA profile has been entered into CODIS as well as the Texas Department of Public Safety’s State DNA Index System.
- A forensic anthropologist cited an ancestry of “Probable Black” and additional traits that are frequently observed in individuals of “Hispanic origin.”
Death is estimated to be up to 4 years prior to the time of discovery. The following items were found among the remains
- A metal ring and a butterfly necklace charm
- Blue, purple, and gray in color fabrics were also collected from the scene.
- Dental is available for comparison.
Anyone with information concerning the case is asked to call the GBI Athens office at 706-552-2309 or the Banks County Sheriff’s Office at 706-677-2248. Information may also be submitted on-line at https://gbi.georgia.gov/webform/submit-tips-online.