Storm-related responses by Gwinnett County include a house fire in the Loganville area and river rescue
The storms that blew through almost without warning Saturday afternoon again played havoc with the local area, although this time around Gwinnett County seemed to be hit harder than Walton County.
In monroe, downed power lines shut down Church Street for a while and the storm delayed the concert and fireworks display in Loganville. Gwinnett County, however, had almost three times the number of incidents over the same period, including a house fire and a river rescue.
Firefighters responded at 5:24 pm to a neighbor’s report of a house fire to the right of 4490 Brookridge Drive SW in unincorporated Loganville. The 911 caller advised the house was struck by lightning and on fire. After knocking down the flames, crews were able to enter and locate a dog and a cat that they were able to remove to safety. The second floor and attic were heavily damaged by fire and the first floor received smoke and water damage, but no injuries were reported. The occupant was not home at the time but returned home during the incident and requested American Red Cross Assistance for her and her two pets. The neighbor advised hearing a loud boom before going outside to find that the house was on fire. Wilson reported that due to the neighbor’s report and the strong line of thunderstorms that had moved through the area, a lightning strike was the determining cause of the blaze.
Wilson reported that firefighters responded at 4:48 pm to a report of multiple people stranded on the Chattahoochee River at Abbotts Bridge in Duluth.
“The group was part of a tubing company tour that was enjoying the afternoon on the river. The group became stranded when a strong thunderstorm moved through the area and caused river conditions to become turbulent,” Wilson said in a press release. GCFES and John’s Creek Fire Department responded due to the location of the river and the large number of people needing help. Both departments assisted in removing people from the water and onto the riverbank.
“First arriving crews positioned their apparatus on Abbotts Bridge and began rescue operations directly under the bridge. There was a large group of people that had already exited the water and were taking shelter under the bridge from the storm. Crews were under the bridge at the height of the storm and were getting people out of the water and onto the riverbank. The imminent threat posed by the lightning and wind made it impossible for the large group of people to stay under the bridge,” Wilson said. “Firefighters were able to redirect the group to go to a staging hut belonging to the river tubing company. The hut was accessible by foot and was located a short distance away from the takeout point at Abbotts Bridge.”
Wilson said over the roughly two-hour incident, a total of 111 river patrons were assisted to safety until the storm subsided, 35 of them by Johns Creek Fire and Gwinnett County Fire rescue boats. A local fisherman also assisted and there were no injuries reported.
“Firefighters and Swiftwater rescue technicians from both departments worked in unison to safely remove and shelter the large group of people,” Wilson said, adding, “Rivergoers are encouraged to stay weather aware and to avoid being on the river during a strong thunderstorm.”
The following is a synopsis of some of the other notable incidents that GCFES responded to on June 27.
TREE ON BUILDING:
- 11000 Block of Springs Lane NW in Peachtree Corners
o Crews located a large tree down on apartment building. A message was left for property maintenance. The tree caused damage to the building and one occupant requested American Red Cross assistance.
- 6000 Block of Kay Drive NW in Norcross
o Crews responded to a tree through the middle of the house. Unit found everyone safely outside and no additional hazards present. Advised residents not to reenter the structure.
- 1000 Block of Stone Mill Run SW in Lawrenceville
o Crews located a large tree on the house with no injuries. Power was secured to the structure and homeowner advised not to go on the affected side of the house. Homeowner refused American Red Cross assistance.
- 2000 Block of Windsor Court SW in Snellville
o Crews responded to a report of a female trapped inside her residence after a tree fell. Units found the female was not trapped and the tree did not hit the structure.
- Ridgewood Apartments in Lawrenceville
o Crews located a large oak tree fell through a 12 unit apartment building. Lawrenceville Power was requested and four units were displaced. American Red Cross was requested for one family including two adults and one child. No injuries.
- 5500 Block of Little Mill Road NE in Buford
o Crews located a large tree through the rear wall of the home causing heavy damage. An LP gas tank was secured. Georgia Power was requested to respond to the scene. No injuries were reported. Five people were displaced and refused American Red Cross assistance because they had relatives nearby. The residence was cordoned off with caution tape. Residents were instructed to contact their insurance company.
- 3100 Block of Lakecrest Drive NE in Dacula
o Crews located a large tree on the residence with no occupants found inside after a search. A voicemail was left with homeowner and the house was secured with caution tape.
- 1300 Block of Arlene Court SW in Lilburn
o Crews located a tree on the home and no injuries. The occupants retrieved medications and fed pets before going to a hotel. The home was secured with caution tape.
REQUESTS FOR SERVICE:
- 3400 Block of Cruse Road NW in Lawrenceville
o GCPD requested a chainsaw for a tree down in roadway. Unit was cancelled prior to arrival.
- Springlake Road SE/Marginals Drive SE in Lawrenceville
o GCPD requested a chainsaw for a tree blocking the roadway. Crews located a suspended tree across the roadway and were unable to safely remove it. Road maintenance was requested.
- 3500 Block of Lawrenceville Highway NW in Lawrenceville
o Storage facility requests FD to assist in manually opening gate due to power outage. Crews arrived on scene and secured gate in the open position to allow several vehicles out of the facility.
- Hopkins Mill Road NW/Hopkins Lake Drive NW in Duluth
o GCPD requested a chainsaw for a large tree blocking the entire roadway. Crews removed a large tree from the roadway. Tree caused minor damage to nearby property and they were aware. No power lines or cables were involved. Road maintenance will remove on Monday.
- Rockbridge Road SW/Wydella Road SW in Lilburn
o GCPD requested a chainsaw to remove a tree from the roadway. No power line involvement.
- Wynne Russell Drive NW/Sterling Oaks Drive NW in Lilburn
o Lilburn PD requested a chainsaw to cut limbs blocking the roadway. Crews found a small tree leaning into the roadway. The tree was cleared and no further traffic hazards were present.
TREES/POWER LINES DOWN:
- Old Norcross Tucker Road NW/Britt Road NW in Tucker
o Cable line removed from the roadway.
- Jones Bridge Park in Peachtree Corners
o Located a tree and power lines down on East Jones Bridge Rd and Jones Bridge Circle. Georgia Power clear and enroute.
- Peachtree Corners Circle NW/Holcomb Bridge Road NW in Peachtree Corners
o The caller advised multiple power lines down.
- Bush Road NW/Lou Ivy Road NW in Duluth
o Crews responded to a power line arcing with flames.
- Williams Road NW/Rockbridge Road NW in Norcross
o Crews responded to a tree touching the power pole and catching fire. Unit searched the area and was unable to locate.
- McGinnis Ferry Road NW/Burnette Road NW in Suwanee
o Crews located a tree on power lines with no fire. Suwanee PD had road blocked on both sides and Georgia Power was notified. Scene was turned over to Suwanee PD.
- Autumn Trace Drive NW/Peachtree Corners Circle NW in Peachtree Corners
o Crews located one tree down with no power line involvement.
- Pleasant Hill Road NW/Village Park Drive NW in Duluth
o Crews located and removed a cable line from the roadway. Cable company notified and scene turned over to Duluth PD.
- 4000 Block of Hamilton Mill Road NE in Buford
o Crews located a cable line down across the road. Jackson EMC arrived on scene and advised they could handle.
- Pond Road NW/Ingram Road NW in Duluth
o Crews located one tree down in the roadway and one broken utility pole. Jackson EMC notified.
- 400 Block of Pirkle Avenue NE in Buford
o Crews located a residential service line down and across the driveway. Buford Electric notified.
- 3000 Block of Buford Drive NE in Buford
o Crews located a traffic signal detached from the cable. Requested PD for traffic control and notified traffic engineering.
- Pleasant Hill Road NW/Peachtree Industrial Boulevard NW in Duluth
o Crews dispatched to a low hanging cable and were unable to locate after searching the area.
- Pleasant Hill Road NW/Woodberry Drive NW in Duluth
o Found to be the same call as earlier.
- Cum Laude Way SW/Freshman Drive SW in Lawrenceville
o Crews responded to a report of a blown transformer in the area.
- 400 Block of Dorsey Circle SW in Lilburn
o Crews located a large tree and power lines across the roadway. Linda Lane was completely blocked by a large oak tree. Georgia Power and Comcast were notified to respond. The area was cordoned off with caution tape and residents advised to avoid the area.
- River Drive SW/Foxfire Drive SW in Lawrenceville
o Crews located a tree on power lines blocking River Drive. Requested Walton EMC to
- 200 Block of Rockbridge Road SW in Lilburn
o Crews located a tree resting on the residential service line. No hazard found and Georgia Power was notified.
- 1300 Block of Candlelite Lane SW in Snellville
o Crews found power lines and a utility pole knocked down by a large tree. The tree was across the roadway and several homes were without power in the area. The area was cordoned off with caution tape and Walton EMC notified.
- 2100 Block of Chateau Drive NE in Lawrenceville
o Crews located a residential service line that was partially pulled from the house due to a fallen tree. The master for the breaker panel in the home was secured and the home was checked for any hazards. No hazards found and Jackson EMC was notified.
- 2500 Block of E Maddox Road NE in Buford
o Crews found a tree and wires across the road. Jackson EMC notified.
- 1200 Block of Renee Drive SW in Lilburn
o Crews secured the cable out of the roadway and returned to service.
- 2100 Block of Chaparral Drive SW in Snellville
o Crews located a tree on the power lines and requested Walton EMC. Scene turned over to Snellville PD.
- Racquet Court NW/Ingram Road NW in Duluth
o Crews arrived on scene and found PD had removed a small branch from the roadway before FD arrived.
- Woodland Lane NE/Woodland Circle NE in Lawrenceville
o Crews responded to a tree and power lines across the roadway. Jackson EMC notified and scene turned over to PD.
- 1300 Block of La Mesa Drive NE in Lawrenceville
o Crews located power lines and a tree branch down on La Mesa Drive. The area was cordoned off with caution tape. Scene turned over to GCPD and Jackson EMC notified.
- 400 Block of Windstream Place NW in Lawrenceville
o Crews located a tree branch down across power lines with power out in the area. Scene cordoned off with caution tape and Georgia Power notified.
- 3000 Block of Ridge Oak Drive NE in Suwanee
o Crews responded to a street lamp that was damaged by a downed tree. Jackson EMC notified.
- Janmar Road SW/Webb Gin House Road SW in Snellville
o Crews located a small tree across the road and the roadway was cleared.
- 2000 Block of Sourwood Road NW in Norcross
o Crews responded to a tress across power lines in the roadway. Jackson EMC notified of a blown fuse on the pole.
- Sawyer Court SW/Raintree Drive SW in Snellville
o Crews located a tree resting on the power lines. The area was cordoned off and Walton EMC notified.
- Ozora Road SE/Camp Mitchell Road SE in Loganville
o Crews responded to a report of a tree laying on power lines and on fire. The unit was able to locate the incident.
- Howell Meadow Drive NW/Howell Springs Drive NW in Duluth
o Crews were requested by Duluth PD to confirm the line was a power line. Duluth PD remaining on scene and Georgia Power notified.
- Lester Road SW/River Drive SW in Lawrenceville
o Crews located a damaged utility pole with only cable lines attached. Walton EMC and AT&T notified.
- 30 Block of Burnt Creek Court SW in Lilburn
o Crews found a tree knocked down a residential service line. No hazard found and Walton EMC notified.
- Button Gwinnett Place NW/Clayton Street NW in Norcross
o Crews found a power line across the roadway and notified Georgia Power.
- Lester Woods Court NW/Landress Way NW in Lawrenceville
o Crews located a tree and power lines down. A second utility pole in the area was also damaged. Georgia Power notified and the area was cordoned off with caution tape. The residents in the area were notified to avoid the area.
- 1000 Block of Auburn Road NE in Dacula
o Crews located one tree on power lines with active fire. Crews awaited the arrival of Jackson EMC and turned the scene over to their crews.
- 400 Block of Sunset Drive NW in Norcross
o Crews located a large limb knocked down a residential service line. Norcross Power advised by Norcross PD. No other hazards present inside the home.
- Bennett Road SW/Webb Gin House Road SW in Lawrenceville
o Crews located a tree making contact with power lines. No road hazard present and Walton EMC notified.
- 5000 Block of Smoke Rise Court SW in Stone Mountain
o Crews located a tree down on power lines behind the home. Walton EMC notified.
- 900 Block of E Morningside Drive NE in Lawrenceville
o Jackson EMC notified.
- 1500 Block of Seth Way SW in Grayson
o Crews found a tree knocked down the residential service line. Walton EMC notified.