(Loganville, Ga., May 16, 2019) – Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services report that a Loganville couple and their dog escaped an early morning house fire on Thursday morning thanks to a smoke alarm that was installed by Gwinnett County firefighters. The call came in at 2:30 a.m. on May 16, with a report of the alarm going off and the smell of smoke at a home in the 3400 block of Brushy Fork Road, SW in the Loganville area of Gwinnett County. The caller was advised to evacuate the home immediately as crews were being dispatched.
According to a press release from GCFES public information officer Capt. Tommy Rutledge, firefighters arrived to find an active fire on the back of the two-story, split-foyer home. with flames burning inside the exterior wall and climbing up the back of the house. Firefighters deployed fire attack hose lines and were able to quickly extinguish the fire and prevent flames from spreading inside the main living space. While there was extensive damage to the exterior wall of the house, there was only residual smoke and water damage to the affected area inside the home. Firefighters reported that the blaze was spreading quickly and was only minutes away from penetrating the actual living quarters, which would have blocked an exit for any occupants sleeping upstairs.
The cause of the fire was ruled accidental and is believed to have started from an electrical wall outlet at the back of the house near the deck.
The smoke alarm was installed in July by firefighters from Gwinnett County Fire Station 28 in unincorporated Loganville. While the fire service across the U.S. has preached the importance of installing working smoke alarms on every level of the home and in each bedroom Rutledge said Gwinnett firefights go a step further and install or check existing smoke alarms during visits or while out on emergency calls. Smoke alarms are carried on fire trucks and are often retrieved and installed for residents. Officials say this fire is a prime example why these steps are so beneficial.
This overnight fire is a prime example of Gwinnett Firefighters taking the extra steps to safeguard a family and their home. “The efforts of our personnel really paid off, and we are extremely proud of the positive outcome for this family,” said Fire Chief Russell Knick.
For additional information on home fire safety, please contact the Gwinnett Fire Community Risk Reduction Division/Education Section at 678-518-4845 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. The department offers free home safety surveys and smoke alarm checks as part of its community outreach programs.