Following a request by a resident, the Social Circle will consider an ordinance allowing for the keeping of backyard chickens in residential districts. The issue will be discussed at the Social Circle City Council’s March work session on Tuesday, March 21. According to a notice on the issue from the City of Social Circle, the Planning Commission recommended against allowing chickens in the city’s residential areas. The Historic Preservation Commission, however, recommended allowing no more than two chickens on lots of at least a 1/2 acre in residential districts.
The Walton County Board of Commissioners considered a similar request back in 2015, eventually deciding against it. Just prior to that, however, Gwinnett County had voted to allow for backyard chickens in residential areas in the county under certain conditions as had the City of Athens.
If Social Circle decides to explore the possibility of changing the ordinance, a public hearing would be required prior to taking a vote for adoption. The item is on the agenda for discussion in both the Social Circle March work session at 5:30 p.m. and the City Council meeting which follows at 6:30 p.m. The meetings will take place in the community room at 138 East Hightower Trail in Social Circle. The public is invited to both meetings. The agendas follow.
WORK SESSION 5:30 PM
- CALL TO ORDER Roll Call
1. Girl Scout Gold Award Project – Brianna Groves
- AGENDA ITEMS
- Backyard Chickens in Residential District
- Property Maintenance Code/Code Enforcement
- Adoption of Zoning Ordinance and Map and Code of Ordinances
- Walthour Fund Investment Account
- Well Approval – 1391 W. Hightower Trail
- Supplemental LMIG Application
- Regional Waste Water Treatment Options
REGULAR MEETING 6:30 PM
- CALL TO ORDER Roll Call
- PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
- Introduction of New Employees
- Eagle Scout – Travis Wade Parr, Jr.
- CITIZENS REQUEST
1. Backyard Chickens in Residential District
- COUNCIL REQUESTS
- Work Session Minutes of February 21, 2017
- Regular Minutes of February 21, 2017
- Executive Session Minutes of February 21, 2017
- FINANCIAL STATEMENTS
1. February 2017 Financial Statements
- PUBLIC HEARING
- Managers Recommended Capital Improvement Plan Action to be Considered April 18, 2017
- Rezoning Application – Rowe Crossing 714 S. Cherokee Road Cancelled – Application Withdrawn
- Corridor – COA Demolition Request – 906 S. Cherokee Road
- AGENDA ITEMS1. Authorize Mayor to Approve License Agreement to Burn 906 S. Cherokee 2. Authorization of Supplemental LMIG ApplicationPersons with hearing or speech disabilities who need to contact the City of Social Circle may place their call through The Georgia Relay Center at (800) 255-0056 (Text Telephone) or (800) 255-0135 (Voice Telephone).
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.