Trial set to begin today for Jerome Mobley, accused in the shooting death of his wife


The trial of Jerome Mobley, accused in the shooting death of his wife in April of this year, is set to begin today, Dec. 3, 2018, in Walton County. A jury is being seated and opening arguments are set to begin.


Jerome Mobley, suspect in the shooting death of his wife, after a failed suicide attempt that left him critically injured in now in custody at the Walton County Detention Center. Walton County Sheriff Joe Chapman said he was notified by Grady Memorial Hospital that he was being released Friday.

“I had no idea it would be that soon. They told me that it would be about 6 or 8 weeks,” Chapman said. But nevertheless, Chapman had no choice but to prepare to accept the patient immediately. “Piedmont (Walton) Hospital took him in until today. The stepped up for the community. I can’t thank them enough.”

Chapman said he had the weekend to arrange for extra nursing staff and a hospital bed. He got it all in place today and Mobely is now housed in a medical unit at Walton County Detention Center. Chapman said he is currently working with the District Attorney to try and get the case to trial as soon as possible. He said Mobely can communicate and move around, but he has a trachea and has to be fed intravenously. The medical expenses to take care of Mobely are going to be a expense for local Walton County taxpayers. Chapman said in all his years in law enforcement, he’s never had to keep anyone that several injured in custody.

Initial Story

It has been confirmed that the fugitive murder suspect who has been the subject of a massive manhunt has been captured.. He was transported by air ambulance with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

“A homeowner saw him in a field. He had apparently attempted suicide,” Major Damien Mercer confirmed.  He was found at a location off Hestertown Road.

Walton County Sheriff’s Office confirmed on its Facebook page that Jerome Mobley was taken to Grady Hospital by helicopter after a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

“He was seen behind a house on Hestertown Road. As the homeowner attempted to approach him, the homeowner heard a gunshot. The homeowner called 911 and waited with the suspect until help arrived. He is very badly hurt but is alive at this time,” WCSO wrote.


Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply