Update: Officials believe spontaneous combustion to blame for hay field fire

Officials believe that spontaneous combustion was likely responsible for a hay field fire on Moon Road west of Loganville on Monday. Capt. Scott Miley of Walton County Fire Rescue said between 60 to 70 round bales burned. WCFR Capt. Jeff Allen said that sometimes happens on a hot day when hay bales get wet in the middle. He said it is a very difficult fire to put out and usually a fire break is burned around it and the hay bales are left to burn out.
Photo of hay bales fire on Moon Road west of Loganville on Aug. 13, 2018. Photo credit: Walton County Fire Rescue

Initial Report

Walton County Fire Rescue Captain Jeff Allen is reporting several incidents that have kept fire officials busy Monday, Aug. 13, 2018.
Allen said a commercial fire at 2443 Hancock Road had crews from Social Circle Fire Department and WCFR units responding to a business fire. The fire was quickly extinguished and there were no injuries, Allen said.
There also is a hay field fire on Moon Road west of Loganville with WCFR and Loganville Fire Department both responding with multiple units.
“The fire is contained but involves some hay bales. They are going to be out there for some time completing extinguishment,” Allen said. In addition, there was a vehicle fire on Anglin Road with one vehicle heavily involved.
“The fire was extinguished with no injuries,” Allen said.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply