The Georgia Department of Revenue (DOR) is installing a new state-of-the-art system, Georgia Driver Record and Integrated Vehicle Enterprise System (DRIVES), to upgrade and modernize the vehicle registration and titling system. The new Georgia DRIVES system will enable more self-service options, improve customer service, and enhance data integrity.
Beginning May 21, 2019, some online vehicle services and location hours may be reduced in preparation for the system upgrade. Implementation of the new system will require the vehicle registrations and titling services to be unavailable Friday, May 24. During June, customers may experience longer than normal wait times when visiting the tag office. Vehicle owners with renewal dates in May and June who normally renew in person are encouraged to do so prior to May 20 to avoid delays. Individuals who ordinarily renew online will not experience delays.
Walton County Tax Commissioner Derry Boyd says, “We are excited to partner with the Department of Revenue on the Georgia DRIVES project which will improve our office efficiencies when handling vehicle registrations. It is important for vehicle owners and businesses to be aware of the upcoming schedule changes leading up to the Memorial Day Launch of the system. The Walton County Tag Office will close at 3:00 p.m. Thursday, May 24 and reopen Tuesday, May 28 at 12:00 p.m. in preparation for DRIVES implementation. We ask for your patience and understanding during this transition.”
What to Expect: Friday, May 24:
- County Tag Offices will not be able to process transactions.
- All online motor vehicle-related services including online tag renewal services will be offline May 21 – May 27.
- Motor Vehicle Self Service Kiosks will be offline May 21 – May 27.
- The Motor Vehicle Division will only be able to process Trip Permit transactions at the DOR Southmeadow facility. All other transactions including International Fuel Tax Agreements (IFTA) and International Registration Plans (IRP) will be unavailable.
How will this impact Georgia customers and drivers?
- In the first month of the DRIVES system, walk-in customers may experience delays and longer than normal wait times. To avoid such delays, Georgia residents with May and June renewal dates are encouraged to renew prior to Monday, May 20.
- Customers and dealers seeking to conduct any title transactions should complete their business at a county tag office prior to Friday, May 24.
- Dealers will be able to initiate electronic title and registration (ETR) transactions and issue temporary operating permits (TOPs) over Memorial Day weekend.
- Law enforcement will still have access to motor vehicle records through a statewide backup file.
- The Department of Driver Services will not be affected.
Please visit our county tag website at www.waltoncountypay.com for more information on upcoming scheduling changes.