The National Weather Service and Georgia Department of Natural Resources have issued a Heat Advisory for portions of north central, northeast, northwest and west central Georgia, including Walton, Gwinnett and the surrounding counties. The Heat Advisory will remain in effect from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday, July 31, 2021. Heat index values up to 105 are expected. The hot temperatures and high humidity may cause heat illnesses to occur.
Precautions and preparedness actions:
- Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors.
- Young children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles under any circumstances.
- Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside.
- When possible reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or evening.
- Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke.
- Wear lightweight and loose fitting clothing when possible.
- To reduce risk during outdoor work, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments.
- Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke is an emergency! Call 9 1 1