Vehicle catches fire on S. Broad Thursday night

Monroe Fire Department responded to a vehicle fire on S. Broad Street in Monroe on Thursday night. According to Asst. Chief Bill Owens with MFD, emergency vehicles arrived to find a 1998 Dodge Caravan on fire on the edge of S. Broad Street and John’s Supermarket parking lot. The vehicle occupants were already out of the vehicle and no injuries were reported.

Owens said while the fire, which was visible in the engine compartment, was being extinguished with a single line, a bystander pointed out that there was a pool of gas in the parking space that the van had occupied along with a trail of gasoline leading to its current spot.

“E102 personnel deployed oil dry to the parking lot to absorb any remaining gas. The hood of the minivan was opened with a K12 for further extinguishment. Once extinguished, the vehicle was turned over to Taylor’s Wrecker Service for removal,” Owens said.

The vehicle operator, Jasmine Hendrix, told fire officials that she heard a “pop” as she was exiting the parking lot and immediately got out of the vehicle. Owens said the fire was deemed to be unintentional in nature.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply